The Piolet is our bikepacking and rough-road riding frame. It's designed for off-road touring, including dirt and gravel roads, double track, and single track. We built it to be sturdy, simple, and very capable. As with our other frames it's double butted chromoly steel. The fork is triple butted for reduced weight and extra strength. The seatstays come together in a cool mono-stay wishbone and compliment the segmented fork. The frameset is covered in bosses for easily mounting any racks, water-bottles, gear cages, and even fenders. It's happily set up in bikepacking fashion or as a traditional rack and bag tourer!
The Piolet handles similarly to a XC mountain bike, but slightly more in the touring direction. Feels natural with drop bars or flat bars. Non-suspension corrected fork handles predictably with or without a load!
The Small are designed around 26 x 2.4" tires. M, L, and XL use 29 x 2.4" or 27.5 x 2.8" tires.
Here are some frame details and features:
- Frameset material: 4130 double butted chrome-moly
- Fork: 1 1/8" threadless
- Wheel Size: 29" & 27.5+ (M, L, XL), 26" (S)
- Tire: 29" x 2.4" or 27.5 x 2.8" (M, L, XL), 26" x 2.4 (S)
- Rear Spacing: 135mm
- Bottom Bracket: English threaded 73mm, mountain cranksets only
- Brakes: 160 - 180mm disc
- Seatpost: 27.2mm
- Front Derailleur Size: 28.6mm, bottom pull/bottom swing
- Water bottle mounts: 3 sets on frame, 2 sets on fork blades
- Fender bosses: seatstay bridge, chainstay bridge, under fork crown
- Dropouts: Vertical with triple eyelets
- Lowrider thru bosses on fork
- 2 sets of seatstay rack eyelets
- Replaceable stainless steel derailleur hanger
- Paint: Deep Metallic Blue